Tuesday 19 April 2011

Ups, Downs, Onwards and Upwards



Hi

So this is my 2nd attempt at a blog... here we go!

What I thought was going to be a boring week turned into a pretty busy one. It featured meetings, cinema, Record Store Day, seeing old friends and receiving what is one of my favourite albums this year.

Last week Alex and Tom from our record label came up to Glasgow to talk about a plan for our new record. We met up early on Thursday and talked for over 2 hours and came up with some great ideas that may take a little more time to implement but will make this next album campaign a lot more interesting and creative than previous album campaigns. Came out the meeting feeling good and excited plus I really think all our ideas will benefit us as a band and fans of our band. Also I must add that Tom was wearing a rather fetching knitted jumper that featured lots of White sheep and one solitary black one. An old woman interruppted our meeting to tell him how much she liked it.

I had nothing to do the rest of the afternoon so I went to the cinema. I have literally seen everything on in the cinema apart from Sucker Punch, so I decided to give it a go. I liked what the director Zack Snyder had done with The Watchmen and I'm pretty excited for what he does with the new Superman film, so I thought I'd give it a go. I was asked what I thought of the film by a friend and my reaction was "it's a riduclous hard-on of a film which makes no sense". The cinema was full of young boys running too and from the toilet after any scene with half naked woman in it(which is the whole film), I wonder what they were doing? Must have been all that fizzy pop they were drinking ;)

Anyways, after that I went to see a band called Pro Life which features our own Johhny Docherty on guitar. The band asked Dok and I to DJ Inbetween bands and after, so we did, and played awful, awfully good songs. The band were great, you should definitely give them a listen or go to one of their gigs if you get the chance.

Last Saturday was record store day and its the first year that we have released something on this fine day. Our release was pretty special as it was a split cassette with our good friends Frightened Rabbit. I decided that I'd go down to mono to see The Rabbits play an instore. I got there about 4pm and Scott asked me if I wanted to sing "be less rude" with them, I said yes but changed the lyrics to "Ravishing Rick Rude" as that's what our cover of that song is called which is on the split cassette. I had a great time. I had spent the morning online looking at all the Record Store day activity and it was great to see so many people out supporting it. It was also great once again to see que's outside our favourite record stores :) I really hope we can do something special for it next year.

Last week Mr Aidan Moffat gave me a copy of his new record with Bill Wells which is called "Everything's Getting Older". This record is amazing! As I've said in countless interviews Arab Strap,Malcolm Middleton's and Aidan's solo material Have been a big influence on me. This record is definitely one of my favourites this year, I highly reccomened you pick it up when it's out. He's also playing the same festival as us in Manchester next week so hopefully we can catch each others gigs.

Anyways thats enough pish from me, till next time

Listening = Bill Wells and Aidan Moffat, Radiohead, Panda Bear, Haushka, Lykke Li, The Late Cord

Watching = Great British Menu, Game of Thrones, Tron, The Walking Dead, The American Office, Diners Drive Inns and Dives

Reading = The Internet and Danielle Steel novels

James



Check out James on Twitter @thetwilightsad
Don't miss out seeing The Twilight Sad live, for dates click HERE
(These last bits added by Management!)

3 comments:

  1. Listening Radiohead, wow :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit disappointed on the lack of news about the state of your cat's health. That's the reason I checked back on the blog! I'll go easy on you cause you're new to this thing...

    (I really enjoyed the demos, by the way. Next year do a vinyl instead. Cassettes are for silly hip people who do not enjoy music enough to want to repeat a song. Yuck.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! thank you so much! Thank you for sharing. Your blog posts are more interesting and informative. I think there are many people like and visit it regularly, including me.
    Facebookvideodownloader.org
    Videodownloaderfb.com

    ReplyDelete